Thursday, March 24, 2011

If I...

Wrote a full blog entry about every time God did something amazing, it would be like a whole newspaper! So, I'll just sum up tonight real quick. I went to this small group called a lifegroup, right on the quad (can you say "Yes, that's exactly what I needed and was looking for!!"?) earlier this evening. Normally, we'll worship, then have basically a Bible study. I say "normally," but this is only the second time I've gone, so I don't really know except that the guy said that we were going to "shake things up a little bit" and do some different stuff tonight. This was after some awesome testimonies, and even awesomer worship. The different stuff he was talking about was just walking around campus telling people about Jesus. Yeah. Talk about awesome!! We just split up into groups and then walked around, looking for people for the Holy Spirit to lead us to talk to. I went with my buddy that was there, Terence, because I had never done this before (but I've been thinking lately of how I don't talk to people about Jesus enough... Yeah. Coincidence? I think not. God is too big for coincidences), I admire his faith and his confidence in speaking to people, and because he's my buddy and I would really like to get to know him better than I do. So anyways, we talked to three people. We only had an hour, and the time flew by. The first guy is a junior in our outfit, and he said that he was raised Methodist, but hasn't really thought much about Jesus lately, so I told him about our morning prayer group and invited him to join us, and then we prayed for him. He asked what we were doing, and couldn't really believe it when we told him we were just walking around telling people about Jesus. So then the second guy we talked to had a bunch of stuff wrong in his head. I'm not saying he was crazy; mentally, he seemed totally fine. But as far as what he believed, I'm not exactly sure he really even knew. He said he's Catholic, but he didn't really understand or know a whole lot about Jesus, and he was talking about stuff like purgatory (which to me will always be a ski resort). So we talked to him a lot, telling him what Jesus did to pay for our sins, and how much He loves us. Terence gave him this little track... tract?... this little booklet thing, that he had been showing him to illustrate why Jesus had to die for us and how to be saved, and the guy said that he would look at it and think about. Terence told me after he left that he (Terence) saw that the guy needed to get stuff in his head straightened out, so he let him go. We prayed for him after he left, and went on. The last guy we talked to was actually the chaplain for a major unit in the corps. Terence just told him that Jesus loves him, and then we started talking, sharing some testimonies, stuff like that, and then we left after praying with him. It was really cool; I think God had us meet with him just to encourage him. So anyways, that was a "short" version of what happened tonight. I think it was pretty awesome, and it makes me really want to do it again. It's not easy to do; Terence was talking a lot, and I just stood there most of the time. But it's definitely worth it, and the other guys who had done it before said that it can be tough when you first do it. I don't know, it's kind of weird thinking of sharing Jesus like selling something, but the way we approach it is pretty similar. You sell something because you want that other person to have it. Well, we have Jesus, the reason for the world, and we can't keep Him all to ourselves! We have to go tell people about Him!

So, I have a challenge for you. Actually, it's a challenge for me as well. Go to that person. You know who. That person that you see every day, or however regularly. Tell them about Jesus. Don't wait for the conversation to head that direction, bring it up. You don't have to walk up to someone and say "Hey, do you know Jesus?" although that is one way to do it. Pull out your Bible, and when they ask about it, ask them if they read their Bible. Start talking about church, a song you heard, anything. Just remember: you have the greatest news in the world, in all of creation!! If someone gave you a new iPad, you would show your friends, you would pull it out in class to use to take notes with, you would put your calendar on it (maybe your Bible, too), and let people see it, and then talk to them about it, show it to them, tell them all about it and all the great things it does. You see where this is going? Jesus is so much better than an iPad, or anything else you could possibly imagine! And if that's not how you feel about Him, then you need to spend some time reading about His life, His ministry, and most importantly, His death and resurrection. Discover what an amazing gift you have, and go share that gift with others. After all, Jesus did say, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations..."

No comments:

Post a Comment