Monday, April 4, 2011

Let's try...

Journaling! So I've never journaled before. The closest I've come is this blog (that should make you laugh), but that's not really a journal. I got the idea after the last Zambia meeting. The guy talking recommended that we get journals and start writing down what happens to us and stuff, so that later, like in Zambia, we could look over the journal and see what God's been doing in our lives, specifically stuff He's been doing to prepare us for Zambia. So, I ordered a journal from Amazon, even though I said I wouldn't. I've started not liking Amazon lately because, even though they've got good prices and lots of stuff and great deals and convenience and free prime membership for me and all that stuff, they're not cool. They're kind of like Apple. They're really exclusive. Take the Kindle, for instance. You can read aaannything on the Kindle... but if it isn't on Amazon or a pdf file (which are dumb to read on the kindle anyway), it has to not be CRM protected. Just about everything is. You go to any website that offers ebooks, and 99 times out of 10, they'll say in their FAQ "Our ebooks are compatible with [list of every single kind of ebook reader except kindle]... Q: Can I read the ebook on my Kindle? A: Not currently [this actually means 'No. Amazon won't let you.']." The reason Amazon is like this is because they own like 75% of the ebook market already, so there's no reason for them to open up the Kindle to stuff like library books. They make enough money that they don't have to care about the people who want to read that kind of stuff on their Kindles. They also don't have to care about the people who want to change the picture that shows up when the kindle goes to sleep [people like me]. So, that being said, I'm NOT complaining about my Kindle. I love my Kindle reader; I just don't like Amazon. It's like having an iphone you love, but hating all the rules Apple has for it. I'm one of those people who jailbreak their iphones, except I don't have an iphone, I have a Kindle, and you can't jailbreak those. All you can do is pay Amazon the price of a real book for one of their ebooks, unless it's one of the few free ones they have. So anyway, I said all that to say that I was personally boycotting Amazon because I don't like them, until I started looking for a journal. I found one I liked

It says Amazing Grace sideways, and then has the verse that starts "The Lord has promised good to me..."
but it would be a month before it came in. So I went to the website of the people that make it, but they don't sell to consumers (stupid marketing... things... whatever reason they do that...), so I googled it, and guess where I found it? Yep, Amazon. So you know what I did? Well, after careful consideration, and advice from friends, I bought this manlier one that I found on the manufacturer's website while browsing before I found out they only do wholesale


Like it? I still bought it from Amazon, but it'll be here this Thursday (because of that free prime membership I mentioned earlier). Guess my boycott kind of failed... I thought the verse was a little generic, but I like it a lot, and after thinking about it, I think it kinda fits the reason for getting the journal a little better than the Amazing Grace one. They're both really good, though. The only thing is, this one has 400 pages, so I'll probably be using it for like 10 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment