Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Centennial

This is my 100th post on this blog!! *cheering and whistling* *cricket chirps* Well, anyway...

Today was awesome, and it was awesome because I received some awesome news. I'm going to be the outfit chaplain next year!! I'm super excited, because this is the position I've wanted since I found out there was one, which was the second day of pre-FOW, I think. It's a junior position, but everyone in my class had pretty much decided it would be me since fish year. It's going to be great. I report directly to the CO (Commanding Officer, the guy who's in charge of the outfit), which is really good, because I've been going to him a lot this year to talk (he's the first sergeant right now), and he's become a mentor and spiritual leader to me. He's also behind me all the way on my goals as chaplain, and for the position itself. He literally said to "As far as I'm concerned, your purpose is to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ." Not as chaplain, but as a Christian. Being chaplain just makes me more prominent and gives me more influence, especially in that area. The chaplain is also something else, too: a counselor. I'm the "go-to" guy for the fish, the first person they can come talk to if they need help with anything. I was even given a first-aid kit today. I was first told this morning, by the first sergeant, and then this evening, by the current chaplain (I don't think he knew that I had already been told). When Jacob (our first sergeant) told me, he asked me a few things, the main one being that I pray, every single day, for the incoming freshman. When he gets a list of who they are, he's going to give it to me, and then I can pray for each of them by name, all the way up until they show up for FOW, and then I can personally meet with and pray for them. I've also been told about all the tough situations chaplains can be faced with. I know I'm not prepared for all that now, but I also know that God can prepare me for it before next year. I know God can and will use me to do great things in this outfit, I just need to make sure it's Him behind it all. Whenever I jump in, that's when things go wrong. So, I'm super excited about being selected as chaplain, but I also a great weight of responsibility. After all, spiritual leaders will be judged more strictly.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!! That's so awesome to hear! You will do great. It's so cool to hear everything that God is doing in your life!

    ReplyDelete