Wednesday, April 21, 2010

mezcla de frutos secos de montana

So nobody does blogs anymore. I post stuff all the time, but the last post any of you have done was like 4 weeks ago. That's a long time. In fact, that's longer than it'll be before school is out! Less than two weeks till dead week! Dead week is, in case you didn't know, when the Corps "dies" and everyone studies for finals. This means there are no more stupid corps games (well, there are still a few, but not many), and you just prepare for finals (and/or mess around), which start the next week. I think the last day of finals is May 8th, but I'll probably be done with finals way before that. Last semester, I only had two finals during that week. Hopefully, it'll be the same this semester, and I'll be able to study a lot and do really well on them both.

Today, April 21st, was Aggie Muster. It's this really cool tradition at A&M where they do a roll call for the absent. It sounds kind of oxymoronic (that's a word now), but it's really cool. They say the names of every single Aggie - past or present - who died during the past year, as if they're calling role, and someone in the audience, usually a lot of people, answer "here" for each person. It shows that those people are still with us in spirit. The entire band said "here" for a band member that graduated last year. He died shortly after Final Review (the last thing the corps does in the spring. cadets march in front of the reviewing stand, then change into the next year's uniform, and march back across as the next class. it's the only time there are no fish in the corps) in a car accident. After roll call, there's a 21 gun salute, then Silver Taps (a special version of taps played three times in three different directions). Then we leave. It was a really cool ceremony. Made me wonder what it's like at other places (muster can be held anywhere. aggies gather together all over the world to hold muster. i've heard that it's just like a social gathering at other locations, though).

So, gc is over. I think I said that in my last blog, which wasn't very long ago. I wonder how Abby's 8 ball is holding up. I still need to get her to do that poster. My support letters are almost done. I wish I had done them last semester. I hope it's not too late. I really want to work at camp as much as possible. (don't tell Hannah, but I'm not even sure if I turned in my application. I thought I did, but I don't specifically remember giving it to her, or mailing it. I guess she would've talked to me by now if I hadn't, though). I'm a little worried about some of my classes, mainly Physics, but I'm pretty sure I'll be ok, as long as I get this last test and the final down alright. As for math, that should be an A. I can bring MilSci up to an A as well, and the rest of my classes are all easy A's. That means I should be looking at a pretty good GPA after this semester. Maybe I'll even stay a blue card. I think it all really depends on Physics. I need to study, and get some help. Anyways, it's pretty late, almost 11:30, and I still need to wire my B's for tomorrow. Tomorrow is Thursday. That's almost Friday. I'm excited.

Ok, one last thing before I go. I just thought of this. There's this weekly Bible study on campus called Breakaway. It's really awesome. I try to go every week. I haven't had much to write about in my blogs lately, but I keep feeling a need to write. I think it's kind of an out for my feelings, but I can't really express my feelings right now.. or something. Anyway, I think I'll start writing about my interpretations of Breakaway every week, even though there's only two more this semester. Oh well.

Ok, so last night, Ben, the Breakaway speaker, talked about desire. He said that until around his sophomore year in college, he thought that Christianity was all based on facts (God loves you, sent Jesus to die for you, you need to go spread the Good News, etc) and his reaction to them, his duty (ie spreading the Gospel). Feelings didn't matter. If you liked it, good; if you didn't, oh well. Then he heard these different people talk, and they said all this stuff about joy, and desire. This is one of the biggest things I got out of it. Ben said, and he was quoting someone, that "sin is taking legitimate desires to illegitimate places." Think about that. That's totally true. Sin isn't your desire; it's your desire in the wrong places, for the wrong things. Desires are a good, God-given thing, but we're supposed to desire the right thing: God. The problem with us isn't that we desire, it's that we desire these meaningless, earthly things, instead of wanting God, who can bring us ultimate joy. We're too easily satisfied. God wants to make us happy, but we have to come to Him instead of the world first. Ben started by reading the story of the Samaritan woman coming out to the well while Jesus was sitting beside it. He could've gone off on her about her life, and told her that she owes her allegiance to Him, which is all true, but instead He started talking to her about thirst. She was thirsty, and she had been looking to satisfy her thirst in the wrong places (hence all the husbands). Jesus offered her water that would make her never thirst again. That's what we should seek, too. We shouldn't be satisfied by the things of this world, when there's something so much better just waiting for us, no, seeking us. He also said that God is seeking worshipers. He doesn't just accept wholehearted worship, He is looking for it! And it says countless times in the Bible to rejoice, to be glad; it's basically a command. I know I'm jumping around now, but I'm having trouble remembering everything Ben said. I think that's pretty much it, though. I'll try to take notes or something next time. And if you're ever in town on a Tuesday night, you should totally let me know, and we'll go to Breakaway. It's pretty awesome.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't. Just so you know. But we've talked so I know what your plans are, so it's okay... I will need it on file though before camp actually starts. And I will need to know if there are days that you won't be able to be there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shrubbery (one that's nice, but not too expensive)April 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

    Oops. I'm sorry. I'll get it to you as soon as I can... Ok, I'll find it, then get it to you as soon as I can :P

    ReplyDelete