Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Engineering... Tired... Hungry... Yep, it's Tuesday!

Have you ever had a day that just didn’t exactly start out right? Maybe you had to get up early, even had to deal with people being angry at you, maybe even yelling, and it seemed like you just couldn’t get anything right. Then you hardly get much breakfast, but there’s no time to think about that, cuz it’s off to work, or school, or whatever commitment you have for the day. But that’s not all, because I’m sure almost everyone has had a day, or perhaps many, that have started like that. But have you ever, that same day, walked into an elevator, and, as quickly as the doors slide shut behind you, the world does, too? Suddenly, instead of going down three floors, you’re flying, soaring. For no apparent reason at all, the day is suddenly brighter – literally, it actually looks brighter and feels warmer outside – and there’s a bounce in your step. The rough start of the morning is a fading memory, and life is now something to savor every moment of. And the best part is, it feels like nothing and no one can crush this new feeling that’s just sprung up inside of you. Has that ever happened to you?

If so, you know what my day was like today.

You can guess how it started for me. I’m sure I’ve complained about that more than enough by now. Add an 8 o clock class on top of that, and you’ll find me, later, slipping into the library for a much looked forward to quiet time with the Lord. It helped relieve the almost ever-present depression that’s been slowly growing in my chest for the past week, but only slightly. I had engineering next, and I just managed to stay awake with the help of a short head-on-the-desk nap before class. It was after that class that it happened. I would have been walking with some classmates if I hadn’t taken a minute to straighten my uniform in the bathroom, but the sudden detour left me alone. I decided to take the elevator. As the doors were shutting behind me, dC talk’s “Extreme Days” suddenly started playing in my head (talk about random), and I had the strong, sudden urge to start dancing. I have no idea where all this happiness sprung up from, but I blamed God for it, and began singing praises to Him (mostly silent prayers). I don’t think I’ve ever had such an extreme mood change in such a short amount of time. It’s a strange feeling when your heavy, dragging heart suddenly jumps up and swells as if to burst with pure joy. It makes your day seem more open, too. I was out of the elevator, heading towards the computer lounge, when I suddenly realized that it wasn’t even a quarter to twelve, my next class was over an hour away, and the engineering building I was in was right next to a great little sandwich place. Forget about the future, I’m hungry now, I thought, turning around before I reached the doors.

“It’s lunchtime!” This directed towards a random stranger in the hallway.

“Yes sir!”

Isn’t God great?

No comments:

Post a Comment